Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hillcrest Farmer's Market

Every Sunday I start my day by going to the farmer's market and stocking up on fresh fruits and veggies.  I usually buy way too much but it tends to last a couple of weeks and works out in the end.

Here is today's bounty:



Clockwise from the pita bread we have
Radishes
Red Chard
Beets complete with beet greens
Carrots
Collard Greens
Parsley
Peach
Nectarine
Green and Yellow Zucchini
Cucumbers
Brussel Sprouts
Corn
Green Beans
Apples 
Onions
Tomatoes
Grapes
Lemons 
and 
Cauliflower
Usually I would buy more carrots as well as some cherry tomatoes but I have an over abundance from last week.  I also still have a green bell pepper and 2 heads of lettuce.  Sound like a whole lot of vegetables?  I think so too especially since Niall will eat the cauliflower, maybe the brussel sprouts and the green beans, the apples and that's about it.  I see lots of salads and stir-frys in my future along with some zucchini pasta which I am so excited to try!

I spent about $55 total which I used to think sounded like a lot until I started thinking about how much I would spend per week if I bought processed foods or ate out.  Plus, I get to support local agriculture and get fresh veggies and fruits that were just picked.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment