Thursday, September 17, 2009

Foraging and a dinner of leftovers

Around the corner from my apartment there is this orange tree growing on the street side of the sidewalk.  For many months this tree has been trying to convince me to get up the nerve to ask the owners if I might have an orange or two.  Last month Sayward at Bonzai Aphrodite posted this blog on urban foraging which was quite inspiring.  If there were any low hanging oranges I might have taken just one or two, but alas the under side is always picked bare.  One morning, a few weeks ago, I took a walk and veered myself the way of the tree to bask in its beauty and long for the fruit it bore.  A few houses before the tree I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.  Upon further inspection it was a pomegranate tree!  Not only that but there were pomegranates within my reach.  So I took one! 
















 Then this morning I took two more.  The tree seems to have a lot of fruit so I don't feel too bad.  I took my pomegranates home and pureed the seeds in my blender and added them to a green smoothie.  Man was it yummy.  I only drank half this morning for breakfast and saved the other half for tomorrow.  I will try to take a picture if I can remember.  The smoothie consisted of some of the mango and oranges listed here along with some of the strawberry lemonade I had made and some frozen banana and beet greens.  It is seriously so good.

The other night I tried to make neatloaf to imitate the one from Jyoti Bihanga.  I used this recipe but omitted the mushrooms, added some rice and made a few other small adjustments and it turned out semi decent.  This is not my first attempt at a meatless loaf and let's just say the first couple didn't turn out so good.  This one mostly had structure and quite a decent taste.  I served it with mashed potatoes and it was a nice dinner. 

I also tried to make aloo matar another night.  It turned out pretty decently even though the canned veggies I was going to use turned out to be ridiculously mushy and so I didn't use them.  

Last night I combined the two for a plate of mostly yumminess only to determine it was just a little bland.  Enter salsa:
















This was so good.

That's it for tonight.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment