Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Baking Whirlwind

Last Monday and Tuesday I went on a crazy baking and food prep spree.  I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins based on the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance, chocolate chip cookies from the same book and peanut butter granola bars from no recipe at all.  And those were just the snacks I made for my boyfriend.

I also made some brownies without a recipe which would have turned out great if I hadn't forgotten to put sugar in them.  I sprinkled a little on top and they had chocolate chips in them so they weren't horrible.  They tasted a little more like a biscuit than a brownie, but they were chocolaty yumminess none the less.

Then I made a couple of raw desserts.  They were all along the same pattern but with different ingredients.  The crusts were made out of medjool dates, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and walnuts.  The first one had a filling of soaked cashews with blueberries and cranberries with a little agave for sweetener.  For the second one I wanted something peanut buttery so I added a little chocolate to the crust and for the filling mixed soaked cashews with peanut butter.  Then I made two mini ones from the same chocolate, peanut butter combo but added a thin layer of blackberry jelly in between the two.  I made all four of these in heart shaped cookie cutters because that was the only thing I could find that wasn't as huge as a spring-form cake pan.  They turned out delicious!  I am really starting to enjoy getting in the kitchen with no recipe and just seeing what I come up with.

That was all Monday.  Tuesday I had some leftover defrosted blueberries and cranberries and wasn't sure what I should do with them.  I decided to attempt blueberry oat bars from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.  The only change I made was using lemon juice instead of apple juice.  I had wanted to make these for quite some time.  They turned out pretty good except that I used parchment paper to line my pan and left them in the pan too long once out of the oven.  I believe this contributed to them being a little chewy. 

So, I'm sure at this point you are thinking, what a glutton.  How is she going to eat all those sweets before they go bad (especially if you knew that my boyfriend doesn't really like berries, or really raw crusts and that I still had leftovers of birthday cake my mom made for me on 8/27).  Well, don't worry, I didn't eat myself into a sugar coma.  I froze them all.  That way whenever I want a blueberry oat bar for breakfast all I have to do is pop it in the microwave or let it sit on the counter for an hour or two.

And so I present to you, breakfast:
 
And last night's dessert, which actually tastes good when it is still a little frozen:

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment