Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bagel Bites and Pizza Rolls












Before we started dating, my boyfriends breakfast consisted regularly of chicken nuggets, bbq hot pockets, pizza rolls and bagel bites.  Being the health conscience person that I was, I advised him about the millions of unnatural ingredients that find their way into those products and to my great joy, he stopped eating them.  In general I do not have much of a problem with those foods, just the ingredients in them.  This led me to create some vegan bagel bites a while back.  They were quite a hit and so I decided to make them again this weekend along with an attempt at pizza rolls based on this site.












I am not very pro at dough yet as it seems to never quite get stretchy correctly, but I am always down to try even if it ends in doughy tears.  Just kidding.  But not really.  For the love of my boyfriend who is mostly vegan except for his love of cheese and his once in a while pepperoni pizza or chicken when we go out, I made both the pizza rolls and the bagel bites with real mozzarella cheese and vegan pepperoni.  I do not have a spot in my kitchen to roll out the dough that is large enough,  so I used my glass top stove.  This would have been a good idea if the stove didn't get hot when I preheat the oven.












Overall, the recipe "worked".  I couldn't roll out the dough thin enough and keep it from falling apart when I wrapped it around the tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni and this resulted in a thicker bread than it should have been.  They also did not have anywhere near enough fillings.  Regardless, it was a good place to start and I made a second attempt a day later with vegan cheese for myself which will be shown in another post.













The bagel bites started out as 20 mini whole wheat bagels.  I spread them with tomato sauce, mozzarella and vegan pepperoni.  I didn't make any of these for myself with vegan cheese, not because I really didn't want any, but more for the reason that I didn't really want to have to differentiate in my freezer which ones were vegan and which ones were not.   And plus, I was going to make the pizza rolls and that's plenty of pizzayness for me.  I also saved 2 bagels because I had bought some tofutti cream cheese to try.  Stay tuned for what I do with that for breakfast this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment