Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Week of No Groceries

Being that I love cooking and baking, I have a tendency to go a little overboard with my weekly grocery shopping.  Sometimes I end up with a pantry and freezer full of food that gets neglected while I meanwhile spend all of my spending money on even more food.  This week I decided to give my wallet a break and not even visit a grocery store or farmers market once.  As luck would have it, this happened to coincide with some unusual events.

First, a lady in my office started bringing in pomelos to share.  So I took a couple.  Then she started bringing in pomelos and oranges.  So I took a few.  Then today she brought in oranges and tangerines.  I now have a bigger stock pile of fruit than I did when I started the week.

 
Next, I was going to try to use up some frozen fruit by making smoothies every day for breakfast but we only had one banana.  Since my boyfriend eats a banana for breakfast almost every day I asked him to pick some up when he worked yesterday (he works at a semi healthy grocery store).  Let me lay it out there that my boyfriend does not grocery shop.  We met when I worked at the same store he works at now.  Almost every day when I worked there I would have at least one or two items if not a whole bag of groceries I had picked up throughout the day to purchase.  The only thing he ever bought was bananas.  When he came home yesterday he had bananas, and this:

 
This can only mean two things.  First, I have been neglecting my job of keeping a well stocked tupperware of hummus at all times, and second, I may never make home made hummus again.  I don't know why it is, but I can never get my hummus to turn out as smooth and creamy as store bought hummus.  I can see why this hummus is the talk of the vegan blogger world.  I think my boyfriend might be onto something.  And I don't have to make everything from scratch, do I?
Then today, my most awesome friend Lacie who works in my office brought me a present!

 
Dehydrated bananas that she had made herself.  These things are addicting but I am trying to figure out how to get the most mileage out of them.  Trailmix?  Some sort of baked good?  Cereal?  Oooh, I wish I had some cereal.  I'm sure I'll figure something out.   

Meanwhile, my boyfriend came home from work today and had another tub of Sabra hummus.  This time it was roasted red pepper.  And to top it all off, I bought him a digorno pepperoni pizza last week, so he bought me an Amy's vegan pizza.  What a sweetheart.  

Plus, I still have tons of food left.  I'm thinking I might try one more week without shopping.  My wallet is loving me.

I think I hear some hummus calling my name from the kitchen.  It might be asking to be added to some salad I have mixed up to go along with spaghetti for dinner.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment