Monday, February 15, 2010

Where to start?













 Ah yes, veggeroni!  While checking out a recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen for some red cabbage and peas, something in the sidebar caught my eye.  Veggeroni!  I have not been the biggest fan of fake meats since becoming a vegan.  I try to incorporate more whole foods, especially vegetables into my diet instead of replacing meat and cheeses with wheat substitutes.  But there are some things that downright require substitutes (especially if your boyfriend is not a vegetable eater and likes the comfort of old favorites).  In my opinion pizza does not always require pepperoni, or cheese for that matter.  See Amy in regard to this:

 
  
This pizza was amazingly good FYI and I will probably be posting about that salad later!
But onto the veggeroni.  I had everything to make this except fennel seeds.  After my trip to the People's Co-Op I was all set to begin.

The recipe is amazingly easy.  Whisk dry.  Whisk wet.  Mix together.  Knead for a minute or two.  Roll into log, wrap in foil and bake.

I upped the red pepper just a little bit because I thought it would be better for it to come out a little spicy rather than a little bland.  It could have done without it but this stuff is amazing either way.  Ok, so it's not  really that close to real pepperoni but it is quite a bit better than this stuff:
And plus, I made it!  I know exactly what's in it.  I know how fresh it is.  And I don't feel so bad eating a slice of it with a little mustard all by itself.

Try this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment