Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Depression Hurts


Something or other can help













Not sure if that's the right tag line for that commercial, but you know the one?  Where they have pictures of inanimate objects that look like they are frowning and then smiling?  These remind me of that commercial.

For xmas my boyfriend got me 500 Vegan Recipes.  I love this book!  I have already made quite a few recipes out of it.  Starting with this one which is Cinnamon Quick Bread.  This bread was really simple and very delicious.

 Not sure my topping came out quite right, but good none the less.

Next, I made a dinner consisting of Au Gratin Potatoes and Riblets.



 

 The potatoes were a little too tofu-y and the riblets were a little too tough.  I might have cooked them too long.  Not too bad and with a few tweaks might be repeatable.

Finally, I made a breakfast cous cous from the book.  I added almond milk to each individual serving and added just a bit of agave because it was a little dry and bland, but I really liked the idea and it just happened that I had cous cous in my cupboard just waiting to be used.





2 comments:

  1. Some tasty sounding dishes! What did you make the riblets out of? I'm fond of seitan but can't often get my homemade version to come out right. It's usually pretty tough. Maybe I'm not simmering it long enough?

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! The recipe was mainly vital wheat gluten. I have yet to try to make seitan by cooking it in liquid. So far all I have tried is the chicken nugget recipe and this one which both call for baking the gluten. These riblets turned out quite tough. I think I either overworked the dough or cooked them too long. My nuggets usually turn out pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete