Saturday, January 16, 2010

Banana Everything Cookies










Not the best picture in the world which is sad because these might be the best cookies in the world.  I cannot find the website I got this recipe from but I recall it saying it came from the New York Times originally...I think.

Doesn't really matter though, I am committing this recipe to heart and claiming it as my own.  Not too sure I will ever need another cookie recipe.  I was amazed at how little flour and how much oats this recipe called for.  The dough is a little sticky and hard to form (as you might see from the fact that I stopped forming them and just plopped them in little piles) but it is sooo delicious.  The first time I made these cookies I followed the recipe exactly as it was posted except I divided the batch in half and did one half with raisins and walnuts for myself and the other half with just chocolate chips for my boyfriend.  The second time I doubled the recipe but cut the sugar in half.  I feel like the banana, raisins and chocolate chips give enough sugar that I could almost completely omit it next time.  I also tried blending the banana, sugar, oil and vanilla in my blender and that worked so well. 

Without further ado, I give you:

Banana Everything Cookies
1 ripe medium banana
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour (plus 2 tbs if the dough is too wet)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Blend banana, oil, sugar and vanilla
Mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
Add wet to dry
Fold in oats, walnuts and chocolate chips

Roll into balls using wet hands or be lazy like me and just plop them on a parchment covered cookie sheet
Bake 10-12 minutes until just brown

Yield 2 dozen

And be careful, those 2 dozen will be gone in no time.  Especially if you think of them as breakfast food...nomnomnom.

Don't think that I have been eating nothing but cookies though, I did manage to make a pretty good soup today.


Lentils, corn, carrots, celery, red cabbage, swiss chard, onion and green onion.  I ate it cold with some sea salt and vinegar chips.

Last but not least, Katie of Chocolate Covered Katie is giving away a Vitamixer!  If you want to enter, go here and follow her directions.  I just recently acquired a digital scale and so I will be making some fudgie babies following the exact directions tomorrow and posting about it to get 6! extra entries.  So excited!  Katie, you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment