Sunday, June 20, 2010

CSA Farm Tour

I get my CSA at the Hillcrest Farmer's Market every other Sunday from JR Organics.  Every week on Monday or Tuesday I get an email telling me the contents of this weeks box.  A few weeks ago a second email was also sent telling us about a chance to visit the farm.  I jumped at the opportunity, and on June 12th I visited JR Organics.  It was a wonderful experience!  We got to see how the seeds are started &  transplanted, how they rotate crops, keep pests at bay, compost, harvest and package the vegetables and fruits I simply pick up from them.  They also provided us with a delicious lunch!  There were many offerings for everyone including vegans!  It is so rare to get to eat food that I don't have to prepare or ask a million questions about that this was such an added treat.  And as an added bonus, we got to eat strawberries that we picked ourselves.
















































































Rice & veggies, roasted veggies, pico de gallo, guacamole, cucumber salad, tortilla chips and a salad with nopales.  Everything except the chips was made that morning by the women who work/live on the farm.









Pinto Beans.

Lentil Soup.  Yum!








And I think I will throw in some lingering random CSA pictures.

































And finally, proof that my cats like CSAs too!


Precious (the black one) loves greens.

I hope I haven't spoiled you with three postings in a row.  That was most all of the pictures I had to share and since the cinnamon rolls I made this weekend failed, I am afraid I might not be back for a bit....we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment