Wednesday, August 10, 2011

So there is this one thing I made....

I had still have a bounty of zucchini from my garden this year. One recipe I have fallen in love with is this chocolate zucchini bread. The recipe said it was brownie like so I took a chance and cooked it in an 8 x 8 pan and let me tell you, that is one of the best brownies I have ever tasted. Ever. Uuuuunfortunatly, despite their deliciousness, they do not stay together very well and you end up with brownie crumbles. Not that I'm complaining. I am going to experiment with baking them in muffin tins to see if they hold up better to travel that way. As soon as I work through the 2nd of two batches I baked and froze about a month ago. Zucchini, by the way, picked fresh from the garden, survives remarkably well in the fridge unwrapped.

So this was all leading to a picture, and a description of what I did with the frozen brownie bits.


That's right, I ate it with ice cream. Sometimes I warm the brownie first and other times I eat the whole thing cold. It reminds me of Coldstone where you get to mix in whatever you want. I love So Delicious coconut vanilla ice cream because I can mix in whatever I want. I usually only eat a small portion and mix in whatever sounds good. Last week I had frozen cherries. Yum. This ice cream you may notice is a bit green. While I wish I could say that it was spinach in that ice cream, it's not. It is however matcha. The flavor was a little strong for me to eat by itself, but mixed with the brownie it was very good.

7 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I'm not sure if you've ever done it or not, but I've gotten out of the habit of buying icecream in general. I freeze ripe bananas and then toss them in the food processor frozen. It makes a banana-y icecream-type thing. It's SO good and leaves me feeling significantly less guilty for eating it! I honestly never would have thought to add zucchini and chocolate together..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sprankles! I tried the banana soft serve once and wasn't really that impressed, but so many people rave about it I may have to give it another shot sometime. Chocolate and zucchini are actually a pretty good match. I have another recipe for a mint chocolate cookie with zucchini in it and it is delicious as well. Seriously though, these brownies, if I could get them to stick together, they would be the only brownie recipe I'd ever need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try out the recipe sometime. I haven't touched zucchini or squash since I was little. My family is very southern and always made them at the same time...by frying them. I was not a fan and even after all this time the thought of zucchini or squash makes me squirm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Any tips on keepy bugs from eating your zuccini? I am a very novice gardener and they start growing like wildfire and the next thing you know they are covered with holes and devil worm/catapiller things. Is there a way to get rid of them without pesticides in a totally cool vegan way so I can make this chocolate zuccini yumminess!!!??? I have some beautiful small zucs starting out right now and am afraid they will meet the same fate as my last crop if I dont do something.
    Thanks, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky. Unfortunately I am only in my second year of gardening so I don't have much knowledge yet. On top of that, I have not had any problems with bugs eating my zucchini. When I have had problems with other pests I have used google to search for "how to tell what is eating my ____" and I usually can find a link that will at least tell me what is eating my plant and then can search "organic ways to keep pests from eating _____" to find a solution. Hope you figure something out and get some nice zucchini to make these brownies. Hopefully I will get a post up this week as my friend and I are going to use some excess brownie crumbles to make "cake balls". Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy that sounds great! I haven't had any bugs on them yet this year but they were slightly bigger than this last time when they were ravaged by some kind of burrowing worm/caterpillar. Anyway I have tried a few things I googled like spraying the plants with watered-down garlic juice but this hasn't worked on my tomatoe plants. I saw another site that said sprinkle cornmeal in the dirt and the caterpillars eat it, can't digest it and explode. Sounds gross and cruel. Ah well I have smooshed some myself so who am I to complain? Damn. Well anyway I will keep up the search. I'm willing to sacrifice some veggies to pests if I can save most of my crop and not use poison I'll be happy. Thanks and Happy gardening and cake ball baking! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried the mint chocolate So Delicious Coconut. It's not bad but the mint was a little strong. I do love their regular chocolate though. Unfortunately our ice cream eating weather for the year seems to be behind us. Warm brownie/chocolate cake things sound pretty darn good though!

    ReplyDelete