Sunday, October 4, 2009

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls


I have been contemplating vegan cinnamon rolls for the past 3 weekends.  I read and re-read multiple recipes to try to find the perfect one.  In the end I mostly used this one but I also infused it with this one and this one.  I used a total of 4 cups of flour, a mix of bread and whole wheat pastry.  I used a little more than a half cup of soy milk which I heated with the earth balance.  In the end I am not sure exactly what I used.

I have a not so good relationship with kneaded bread.  No one has ever shown me how to do it in person and I almost always feel my dough comes out too tough.  I let this dough rise for just over 2 hours before I gave up and put it in the fridge to come back to in the morning.  This morning I rose at 5:30 by pure luck and put it in my oven with the light on and went back to sleep.  When I got up at 7 I was still fearful of disaster.  The dough didn't look very much like the dough in the video on the first recipe page.  It looked a lot tougher.  But I decided at that point it was time to at least attempt the cinnamon rolls.  So I pulled the dough into a rectangle and covered it with melted earth balance, sugar and cinnamon and rolled it up.  It seemed a little short so I rolled it over a couple of times to stretch it out.  I then cut it into 12 slices and placed them into a pan coated with earth balance and sugar.  I left them to rise for 45 minutes with very low hopes of any real rise.

Surprisingly enough, when I came back:



Fairly nicely risen rolls.

After 30 minutes in the oven I was very pleasantly surprised to find this sight awaiting me.



 Not only did they rise, some of them rose too much.  Here's a better shot of what I mean.



It cracks me up how the front right one is just about perfect and the back left one is popping out completely.



Feeling incredibly victorious, I frosted them up with some tofutti cream cheese and powdered sugar and ate what is surely one of the best things I have ever baked.  The texture was perfect.  The flavor was wonderful.  The center?  Divine!  The best part is that I believe that I can do this without a recipe next time!  Learning is fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment