Friday, February 11, 2011

Dessert Hummus

I know what you're thinking. But hear me out. Today I read a tweet from @mama_pea about having to make the choice between grocery shopping and making dessert hummus. I was hooked instantly. I had everything at home except something to dip in it. I went to the store and got some graham crackers and I was ready.

Once home I rinsed the garbanzo beans, pulled out the food processor, tossed in some peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and a pinch of salt and started that baby up. Minutes later I mixed in some mini chocolate chips I conveniently had on hand and tasted one of the most intriguing foods I have tried in a long time. It wasn't oh my goodness love at first bite, but after a few bites I was hooked. Luckily my desire to produce a great picture for all of you stopped my boyfriend and I from devouring the whole batch in one sitting.

This is currently chilling in my refrigerator. Can I have dessert for dinner?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dessert Hummus. This guy's a genius.


4 comments:

  1. i love hummus and love peanut butter, but i have my doubts about pairing them. but it looks so yummy that i will definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, my first thought was no way! But the idea intrigued me so much I had to try it. So glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this at first using my usual ghetto method of making hummus..via blender. It did NOT go well, haha! I was then given a food processor the next day...and IT IS AMAZING. Even my roommate, who isn't so keen on the new food changes in the apartment loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for food processors! Seriously, I don't know how I'd live without mine. I have a regular sized one and a mini one and I use them at least 3 or 4 times a week and usually when I use them it's for more than one recipe in a day. And I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't like this dessert hummus after trying. Unless of course they didn't like peanut butter. Or chocolate. Or maple syrup. But that sort of person would have to be crazy anyway and thus their opinion would not matter!

    ReplyDelete